We offer comprehensive pain management services for the treatment of acute and long term pain. We specialize in treating back, neck, and body pain of all types.
To schedule an appointment or for any questions, you may reach us at NHS Heroes UK medication.
How Do You Determine the Best Pain Treatment Plan?
Each evaluation involves collecting many different types of information about the patient. We want to understand who you are, what your symptoms are, what might have caused them, and how we can help you.
Some questions we will ask include:
- Are you able to exercise, and if so, how much exercise do you get each week?
- What is your diet like? How much protein, fruits and vegetables do you usually get in a week?
- Where is your pain? Does it occur in multiple areas or the same area each time?
- How does the pain affect your mobility or ability to move your limbs, walk or performing regular household chores?
- How frequent is your pain on an average week? Do you experience pain every day, or several times a day?
- Over the last week, how many days have you been unable to do activities you would have liked to do because of your pain?
- How strong is your pain right now on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the strongest, and what is the average level of pain you have had each day over the last week?
- Did you have an injury, or do you know what causes your pain?
- What are you hoping to get from your visit with us?
Medication Therapy for Pain Relief
At Advanced Medical, we provide medication therapy for patients with certain kinds of pain who may not respond to massage or chiropractic care alone. Often times, medicine is prescribed in conjunction with chiropractic care, physical therapy or other rehabilitation in order to bring the patient as much relief as possible.
What Pain Medication Do I Need?
Some patients do not need medication. However, if the doctor does recommend it for your treatment, the type of medication and dosage of the medicine will depend on several factors, including:
- Your symptoms
- Your health history
- The frequency of your pain
- How much the pain affects you on a daily basis
- Your prior pain medication prescriptions
- Your level of tolerance to pain
- Documentation of prior prescriptions that you have had filled
- You should bring in a record of your previous prescriptions, if you have one. If not, you should bring in anything that you have that can show what you have been taking in the past – bottles are great if you have them.
- Any drug allergies, sensitivity or history of substance abuse
Medication Therapy for Mild Pain Relief
To bring short term relief for mild pain, common medications include:
- Paracetamol (acetaminophen)
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as ibuprofen
Medication Therapy for Moderate to Severe Pain Relief
When treating moderate to severe pain, the type of the pain, acute or chronic, needs to be considered. Medications used to manage and alleviate chronic, long term pain include:
- Opioids – Opioid analgesics work by suppressing your perception of pain and calming your emotional response to pain by reducing the number of pain signals sent by your nervous system. They are available in pills, liquids, suckers, shots suppositories and patches. Common opioids include Fentanyl, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, Morphine and Oxycodone.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants – such as amitriptyline
- Antiepileptic drugs – such as Neurontin
- Other analgesics